Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Poo Poo?

About 2 or 3 months ago Renee started occasionally telling us when she had a poopy diaper, and she would sometimes even tell us right before she was about to go.  I hadn't (and still haven't) read anything about potty training, but it seemed like she recognized when she was going to the bathroom.  So, a few weeks ago I went to Target and bought her a training toilet.  Not just any training toilet of course, it's pink, it looks like a princess throne and when you drop something in it (i.e. pee or poo) it plays music!!!  It was actually cheaper than the basic one though, so don't judge :D

We started out just letting Renee sit on it with her clothes on and now, before her bath every night, after we take her clothes and diaper off, we have her sit on it for as long as she wants.  Jeff and I usually make a big deal about her just sitting on the toilet, even if she doesn't go to the bathroom, since we want it to fun and exciting for her.  It seems to be working and so far she's gone poop in it once and pee in it once.  Woo hoo!!!  I'm pretty sure both times had more to do with good timing and luck on our part than with Renee actually choosing to go to the bathroom on her toilet.  We don't care though, they still count!!

She can't say potty yet, p's are hard for her, so she says, "bobby" instead.  But as soon as she says, "bobby" I rush her over to the bathroom, take off her diaper and put her on the toilet.  Almost every time she just sits there and smiles at me for a few seconds, then gets up and walks away without doing anything.  But this morning she just kept sitting on the toilet and smiling at me.  She even reached over and grabbed one of her bath books and handed it to me to read.  It felt way too cliche for a 17 month old, but I went with it and read her the book while she sat on the toilet.  She sat there so long I almost got up to go get the camera, but I was afraid I would distract her from her mission so no pics for this post.

She had to have sat there for at least 5 minutes (a long time for a toddler) before she finally stood up, reached back, spread her butt cheeks apart, looked at me questioningly and said, "poo poo?"  It was like she was saying, "Mommy, I've been sitting here forever, how come the poo poo hasn't come out yet?"  It was so funny and so adorable.  I didn't know what to tell her so I just asked her if she wanted to sit back on the potty, but she said no, so I put her diaper back on and got her dressed.  She ended up pooping in her diaper a few minutes later, but I give her an A+ for effort anyway.

Next month she'll be moving up to the older toddler room at her daycare and they have toilets for the kids to use, so I have a feeling it won't be too long before we're done with diapers.  I'm knocking on wood, crossing my fingers, and definitely not counting my chickens though!!

 

1 comment:

  1. That story is adorable. It'll be fun to embarrass her when she's a teenager about spreading her butt cheeks apart. Haha!

    ReplyDelete