Wednesday, March 16, 2011

For The Future

Occasionally, as I look at my adorable baby girl, I have a sudden and startling realization that eventually Jeff and I are going to have a teenage girl!!  A snotty, back-talking, lying, dramatic, know-it-all who hates us (sorry future Renee, if you're reading this, it's true), who will make us more angry than we could ever imagine, and who we will still love more than anything anyway.

And although this is quite a ways down the road (12 years to be exact), it will be here eventually.  I usually don't linger in that thought process for very long, really only a few seconds is enough!  I'm just saying, it does pop in my head every once in a while.

So today when I was reading one of my favorite blogs, The Yarn Harlot, a knitter with 3 daughters, who's topic happened to be on things teenage girls like, I thought I'd better take note of this for the future!

Here is what she said:

1. Expensive things. The more money it costs, the better they like it.  I use this to my advantage by making sure I complain bitterly about the expense.  Makes them feel special when I fold and buy whatever it is, even though I was always going to buy whatever it was. and even though it isn't very expensive. 

2. They like stuff that has to do with their physical selves.  Manicures. Waxing things.  Stuff you paint on yourself.  Cream that allegedly does things to your skin.  (Hint: The more "action" a product has, the more they like it. Aim for products that have verbs in their marketing. Lengthening, lifting, correcting, shining, enhancing, bronzing, boosting... anything like that.) 

3. They will love it if you hate it.  This goes for everything, especially boys and skirt lengths.

4. If you love it, they will hate it. See above. 

5. They will love it if you look really stupid in it, near it, by it, around it or can't do it.  (This, I believe, is the primary draw of skateboards.) 

That's all I've got.  Good luck, and stay strong. 


All I have to do is remember to come back and read this post in 12 years!!  And for now, I am going to enjoy every single moment with my sweet little baby girl Renee and try not to think about future problems we may or may not have :D

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about your baby, but Eddie is going to be a sweet darling angel baby boy who loves his Mama FOREVER. He'll never be snotty or cranky or not want to be seen with me.

    Okay...maybe not. I know I'll someday have one of those bumper stickers that says, "Embarrassing my kids IS my full time job!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, you're going to get to deal with an all the super fun things testosterone does to growing boys!!!

    And, yes, he will always love his Mama, how could he not!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me think of this post...so I had to wade through your blog to find it so I could put this in the comments section: http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/2011/04/16/tina-feys-prayer-for-a-daughter-a-must-read-for-any-parent-or-those-who-have-had-one/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Julie :D That was very funny, I love Tina Fey!

    ReplyDelete